[GRASSLIST:671] Re: Regarding grass installation

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Tue Apr 11 16:33:20 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:19:55PM +0100, george jaramillo wrote:
>     Dear sir                     Hi
>
>   I had  heard GRASS is open source GIS s/w and hence I decided to use GRASS for my project.But when I started installing GRASS on fedora core3 it was giving me lots of problem. So many times I mailed to the grasslist at Baylor.edu for the help and they helped me many times.
>  But still I cant install GRASS6.0 as everytime it gives problem saying absence of some packages.

You have just to go through it - install *all* missing packages, before
you install grass or install *all* packages needed by this packages.
once you manage this, you can start using grass with all its features.

>  Now I am really confused and does not know what do next.
>  My project consists of plotting maps based on the given data.

maybe you could start with qgis. but qgis does need most of the
packages, grass needs too.

>  So please advice me for installing the GRASS6.0 and which packages I should download for fedora core3

>  For GRASS I have referred the book OPEN SOURCE GIS
>                                                               A GRASS GIS APPROACH
>                                                                     BY MARKUS NETELER and
>                                                                          HELENA MITASOVA
>  Reply soon