[GRASSLIST:757] Re: Proper configure flags for alternative install directory?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 19 04:29:44 EDT 2006

Patton, Eric wrote:

> I'm trying to install 6.1 cvs in /opt in order to avoid overwriting an
> existing custom 6.1 install in /usr/local. I'm setting the following
> parameters during congfig to install in /opt:
>
> --bindir=/opt/grass-6.1.cvs/
> --program-prefix=grass61cvs
> --exec-prefix=/opt/grass-6.1.cvs/
> --libexecdir=${EPREFIX}/lib
>
> I'm not sure if all of these are necessary, or even set properly. When
> ./configure is finished, it reports:
>
> GRASS is now configured for:  i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
>  Source directory:            /opt/grass6
>  Build directory:             /opt/grass6
>  Installation directory:      /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs
>  Startup script in directory: /opt/grass-6.1.cvs/
>
> But I don't want the install directory to be /usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs. How
> do I modify this install dir to /opt/grass-6.1.cvs?

	./configure --prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin

That will install GRASS to /opt/grass-6.1.cvs and the grass61 script
into /opt/bin.

The --bindir switch determines where the grass61 script will be
installed; it needs to refer to a directory in $PATH if you want to be
able to run the script without needing to use an absolute pathname.

The --prefix  switch determines the location of everything else.

The other switches (--exec-prefix, --libdir etc) are ignored.