[GRASSLIST:888] Re: v.segment

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Apr 26 02:34:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:32:11 +1200
Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As for speeding up table filling, I think it is faster to write all
> SQL statements to a file, then use just a single "db.execute input="
> call. If this does speed it up significantly, let us know & we can add
> the hint to db.execute help page.  (insert "time" on the command line
> before the command to benchmark)

I ran a test and it is much faster.

Using a temporary file including the time to write it and run the
insert command against PostgreSQL for 537 records was < 1 second.

Running each command individually against the same database for the
same 537 records took 18 seconds.

Definitely a hint should be placed in the db.execute help page.

Thanks

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)