[GRASSLIST:939] Re: zooming out in gis.m [was Re: [GRASS5] New GRASS intro]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 27 12:02:45 EDT 2006

Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> Talking of gis.m display in general, it is much slower than X11 Grass
> display. Especially for vectors, when compared. Could that be easily
> improved?

It depends upon what's causing the slowdown. I don't intend to look
into profiling and optimisation while the task is split across three
separate processes (the d.* client, XDRIVER, and the X server).

The plan is to dispense with drivers altogether; the PNG driver will
be merged with libraster so that d.* modules generate image files
directly. At that point, profiling becomes practical.

If it turns out that software rendering of vectors is inherently slow,
the eventual GUI will need a built-in vector rendering component
(which would need to be implemented separately for each platform).