[GRASS-user] r.in.gdal and .ecw files

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Aug 1 10:30:42 EDT 2006

3.3rc2.  It puzzles me - because of those Mac OS X fixes mentioned,
and I've heard others have been successful (as far as being able to
read ECW).  And it's not just GDAL, the example progs in ECW also crash.

If you want to try it, I'd like to hear how it goes.  I've tried it a
few times since the 3.3rc2 release, I think thru a couple Tiger
updates (currently 10.4.7), and an Xcode update or two, and from PPC
and Intel Macs.  Maybe something I'm doing different than expected.
I should try again, I really want ECW support, but have been
distracted by installer stuff and recently the frameworks.  I even
went as far as trying to get it to work on Fedora 5 on my MacBook,
but I had compile errors, and Linux is too much hassle to use on the
MacBook with Parallels (no easy file sharing like with Windows).

On Aug 1, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> Do you get your gdal crash with  ecw 3.3 rc2, or ecw 3.1 rc2? I ask
> because I see in the 3.3 release notes:
>
> Version Features
>
> Numerous bug fixes, including:
>
> functional ECWP on platforms other than Windows
> a fix to lossless JPEG 2000 compression
> change to headers to allow overloading new and delete on Windows
> correct calculation of compression throughput
> large file support issues fixed
> fix to UNICODE support making it orthogonal to the use of UNICODE
> #define in client code
> fixes to the platform-dependent code for MacOS X

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy