[GRASS-user] Tutorial & help needed::join tables (which are stored in postgres) and export result

wqual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Thu Aug 3 08:30:03 EDT 2006

Dear list,
I am still testing, what kind of database I should use for my work with
GRASS/QGIS. As my experiences with sqlite3 where not that positive (large
datasets took very much time to be read into sqlite), I started working with
postgres (and my first impression is that it's far more faster). dbf is
quick, but does not offer me the possibility to perform "table-join", which I
need every day.
I am not that experienced with pg, therefore, I would like to ask you folks
some questions about "daily GIS work with postgres in GRASS":

* How can I join pg-tables in GRASS, can I export a joined theme to make it
permanent (for example, I would like to create a shapefile out of it which
contains all information of the join)

* Does anybody has experience with pg-frontends like knoda and pg_admin?
Working with tables on the command-line is hard for people who used *other
programmes* before ;)

* what about large datasets: shapefiles with *qix-files seem to be loaded
faster compared the same theme in GRASS with its attributes in postgres

* tutorials available for this pg-stuff inside of GRASS?

Any comments / hints are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Wolfgang