[GRASS-user] Tutorial & help needed::join tables (which are storedin postgres) and export result

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Aug 3 09:42:36 EDT 2006

Hey Wqual,

I am starting to work with PGSQL/POSTGIS with GRASS and learning as I
go. Welcome to the club.

First I would encourage you to check out the estensive documentation
online... This might be what you need... Here are the docs on how to
join tables

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/tutorial-join.html

How to do it in grass?  Not sure, I'm learning the CLI to understand how
PG works. I'm no programer, I just learn the stuff I need to.

However, that said if GRASS can pass and exploit SQL commands then I am
sure this is possible. If it is not then getting some dicussion going on
the list is a great first step.

As for tutotirals, that's why I'm learning so I can create a hands on
tutorial... So perhaps we can get some people working together on this
using a common dataset.

Check out the http://grass.itc.it/community/sqlgrasslist.html for maybe
some more help. I have not ventured there yet so no idea if they can
help, but it makes sense.

Check out this SQL primer for grass 5.0
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/src.garden/grass
.postgresql/tutorial/index.html

As for front ends I have some experience with Pgadmin, but most books
from the library use the CLI so PGADMIN is on hold right now... But if
you are used to ORACLE/SDE combos it is verry similar, at least in the
way of layout and permissions.

Have not done becnh marking on file sizes and formats.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers