[GRASS-user] integration of sample.c algorithms into r.resample

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 18 00:48:58 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> I've been following this thread and am looking forward to using the new
> module.
>
> Here's my suggestion on the names.
>
> The new module should inherit the name of r.resample because that is what it
> does. Indeed it uses interpolation methods to accomplish this resampling,
> but r.interpolate (to me) suggests something that creates a raster surface
> from a set of points.
>
> The old module could be renamed to indicate that it resamples using the same
> algorithm used in the on-the-fly resampling of g.region in the display. Here
> are several suggestions.
>
> r.resample.region
> r.dresample
> r.gresample
> r.region.resample
> r.gregion.resample

r.resample.raw?

> I suspect that this older module will eventually become unused if the new
> module works well. But Glynn makes a good point why we should keep it around
> for now.

To put it (yet) another way, the existing r.resample produces the same
result as any module which acts as an "identity" operation for some
combination of parameters, e.g. "r.neighbors method=average size=1",
"r.series method=average" when applied to a single input map,
"r.mapcalc foo = bar", etc.