[GRASS-user] Using v.external - still buggy?

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Thu Aug 24 02:46:49 EDT 2006

Hello Wolfgang,

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:05:23 +0200 wqual <wolfgang.qual at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi list,
> I got a new version of GRASS 6.1CVS and tried again v.external
> (background: I would like to graphically select some features within
> QGIS, but I do not want to import the whole thing first.

I am also not happy about this behaviour. But Radim once told me that
this is not possible, that v.externaled layers can be displayed in QGIS.

I _really_ like to see this happen in the near future, but sadly I am
not the one who can implement it...

> encountered similar problems as mentioned below with a former version
> of GRASS). I did not get any error messages when performing
> v.external, and I can display this new (link)theme as well in GRASS.

Yes, within GRASS everything works well.

> It is also possible to use g.copy to create a real GRASS theme out of
> it. However, if I try to load the link-theme into QGIS, I receive the
> message: this theme does not contain any layers (no layer is visible
> within the add-GRASS-vector theme dialogue). It is also not possible
> to use v.out.ogr to create a shapefile out of the link-theme.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you very much!

Perhaps someone could add some hints why this is not possible to
implement (perhaps rocket science?!), because the user-demand for such
a feature is quite high (at least 2 :-)

Perhaps we should include the qgis-devs since
v.external works fine in GRASS AFAIK?

I know, not really an answer for you, just another interested user...

Cheers
	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508