[GRASS-user] Using v.external - still buggy?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Aug 24 10:00:32 EDT 2006

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
> Hello Moritz,
>
>> If you don't need to analyse it in GRASS (in which case you are
>> probably better off importing it anyway), why not just visualise it
>> directly in QGIS without going through v.external ?
> The reason, why I would like to use v.external: We have a central
> server, where geodata is stored in oracle spatial. As the files are
> updated more or less often, we need to have a look at the data.
> Therefore, v.external would be great (and I do not know another
> possibility). Once loaded into QGIS in this way, I could use the
> select-tool and then export the selection to a grass-theme.

How about d.extract directly in GRASS (available in latest CVS):

http://grass.itc.it/grass63/manuals/html63_user/d.extract.html

>  Besides,
> I was curious, whether very big shapefiles - imported with v.external
> - would be displayed faster than the same theme imported with
> v.in.ogr.

I have no idea about this, but display speed is an important issue for
me as well. Glynn has implement monitor-less rendering which seems to be
faster than the current rendering via monitors (see
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-August/025123.html and
following). I hope that this and some profiling of d.vect might allow us
to speed up diplay significantly.

Moritz