[GRASS-user] v.surf.rst limitations?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Dec 4 14:23:24 EST 2006

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:
> Hello, I have this LIDAR dataset with abou 5.5 millions points that I
> imported with v.in.ascii -ztb, and I want to interpolate in a DEM with
> 5m resolution, which gives me about 13.5 million cells. When I try to
> run v.surf.rst (GRASS 6.3 cvs), it get killed after 30-40 minutes. Is
> there a limitation on v.surf.rst?

Carlos,

You might try r.surf.nnbathy from the GRASS AddOns WIKI. If nnbathy (a
program the script relies on) is built with serial processing, as
outlined in the r.surf.nnbathy manual, it is able to output virtually
any big grid you system can handle. The "only" memory limitation is
circa 0.2 KB overhead per each *input* point. Thus, your 5.5 mln points
should require about 1.1 GB for the most of nnabthy run + additional
~600 MB in the very beginning. Given your 1.87 GHz CPU the whole
interpolation should propably take about 5-6 hours.

Hope this helps. If you go for nnbathy - I'm eager to know how it
worked for you.

Best,
Maciek