[GRASS-user] v.surf.rst limitations?

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:27:34 EST 2006

Hi Maciek,

I compiled nnbathy with serial processing and imported the Lidar
datase with r.in.xyz (which is very fast). Then I trye to interpolate
with r.surf.nnbathy, but after about 30 minutes, it crashes with a msg
like "Error in column 1 row 1"..

Carlos

On 12/4/06, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:
> Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:
> > Hello, I have this LIDAR dataset with abou 5.5 millions points that I
> > imported with v.in.ascii -ztb, and I want to interpolate in a DEM with
> > 5m resolution, which gives me about 13.5 million cells. When I try to
> > run v.surf.rst (GRASS 6.3 cvs), it get killed after 30-40 minutes. Is
> > there a limitation on v.surf.rst?
>
> Carlos,
>
> You might try r.surf.nnbathy from the GRASS AddOns WIKI. If nnbathy (a
> program the script relies on) is built with serial processing, as
> outlined in the r.surf.nnbathy manual, it is able to output virtually
> any big grid you system can handle. The "only" memory limitation is
> circa 0.2 KB overhead per each *input* point. Thus, your 5.5 mln points
> should require about 1.1 GB for the most of nnabthy run + additional
> ~600 MB in the very beginning. Given your 1.87 GHz CPU the whole
> interpolation should propably take about 5-6 hours.
>
> Hope this helps. If you go for nnbathy - I'm eager to know how it
> worked for you.
>
> Best,
> Maciek

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke