[GRASS-user] v.surf.rst limitations?

roberto.antolin at polimi.it roberto.antolin at polimi.it
Mon Dec 4 15:11:07 EST 2006

Hi Michael and all

Michael Perdue <michael_perdue at yahoo.ca> ha escrito:

> Hey Roberto,
> Can you tell me more about this bug? I ran a tile through
> v.surf.bspline that was significantly larger than this and I never
> ran into any problems. Nor can I find any defects in the output.
> This grid was 33mil cells with ~30mil input data points.

Good to know! :)  I had some problems with memory allocation weeks ago
and I was probably wrong about the number of cell v.surf.bspline can
manage. I'll check again. Thank you for the information.

> However, I do receive a seg fault when I try to define a set of
> sparce data nodes to be interolated (input_ext=).

Yes, this is one of the "many" bugs. But, at least, this is also
fixed. A new patch will be available tomorrow (I think).  This new
patch will also include a best stdout info. Well, it will actually
include stdout info :-P

Just a curiosity, how much time did it take to run? Maybe the new
version makes it to run faster ;-) Let me know, please.

> Cheers,
>
> Mike
>
> PS Yes, v.surf.bspline is much faster than v.surf.rst. But more
> importantly, it seems to step through the data to prevent memory
> allocation errors. Is this true? Nice!!! :-)

Yes, that's totally true. If the current region is too large, it
divides the whole region into smaller regions and it works with them
one at a time. The module also considered overlapped zones between
sub-regions to avoid discontinuities in the dtm heights.

Regards,
Roberto.

PS: I think the mailing list didn't receive my last mail, did it?. If
that's right, I'm sorry. I have tons of problems with my mail server.
However, you can find it below.