[GRASS-user] v.surf.rst limitations?

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 5 15:23:22 EST 2006

Hi Roberto,

>> This grid was 33mil cells with ~30mil input data points.
>
> Just a curiosity, how much time did it take to run?

It took just under 4 hrs to grid 30 million data points.

To give an idea of how that compares; with a smaller data set
consisting of ~10 million nodes and 12 million cells;

v.surf.rst took ~4100min (just under 3 days)
v.surf.bspline took 55min

That's almost 2 orders of magnitude faster.

( Dell precision 530
2 x 1.7 xeon's
2Gigs ram
8 gigs swap
3 x 15k scsi drives in a raid0 array.)

> Maybe the new version makes it to run faster ;-) Let me know, please.

I'm going to be gone for a little over a week but I'll run some more
tests and benchmarks when I get back.

Cheers,

Mike