[GRASS-user] Installing GEM 1.0 under GRASS 6.3 cvs native Windows

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Wed Dec 13 03:06:15 EST 2006

Indeed, that's a very interesting question.
GEM itself is just ANSI C, so if you have a C compiler and
Maketools running on your windows box, then making a Win32 GEM
binary should be not much of a problem. You can, e.g. use
the source code from my webpage:

http://www.uni-kiel.de/ufg/dateienDucke/gem-1.0.1.tar.gz

GEM DOES make heavy use of typical Unix commands, such as
cp, rm etc., as it uses a scaled-down version of the GRASS
make files to compile and install extension source code.
And that stuff is full of Unix (sh) scripts.
So I imagine, you would need some shell replacement under
Windows (msys?) for sure.

GEM works fine with GRASS 6.3.

HOWEVER, I have never tested GEM on a native windows
platform.
Believe it or not, but I have not used Windows for the last
ten years, am not running a Windows system and hope I will
never have to ;)

So I don't really have any expertise to develop and/or test
native Win32 versions of GEM.
I'd be more than interested to get information on this
from anyone.

Best,

Benjamin

Stefaan Vande Walle wrote:
> Question for GRASS user mailing list
>

> I installed the native Windows version of GRASS 6.3 cvs.  Can I run GEM
> 1.0 with this version or do I need to install Cygwin and use an earlier
> version of GRASS? If yes, which version of GEM can I install and is
> there docu available?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefaan
>
> --Lic. Stefaan Vande Walle
> SADL - Spatial Applications Division Leuven
> Vital Decosterstraat 102, 3000 Leuven
> TEl/ 0032 16 321 329

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany