[GRASS-user] r.in.xyz memory error

Ken grass at kwasnicki.com
Thu Dec 14 18:43:10 EST 2006

I'm using r.in.xyz to import an ascii x/y/z file with about 2 million
points.   While r.in.xyz is scanning data  I monitor it using "top" and
I can see a VIRT memory size of 863m and the RES memory climbs fairly
quickly up to that amount and then I get the following error:
ERROR: G_calloc: out of memory

I have 1GB physical ram on my system + 1GB swap space.   Is this
expected behaviour for r.in.xyz? Any suggestions for getting it to run
successfully within the ram constraints of my system?

Or, perhaps there's a better way to do what I'm trying to do?  I have a
postgres table with 10 million x,y,z points (which will grow to about
100m).  I want to perform queries to extract various regions of points
and create raster layers in grass from those points.   Currently I'm
writing my query results to an output file and then importing with
r.in.xyz.   Is there a better way to do this which might solve my memory
issue above?

Thanks!
Ken