[GRASSLIST:10165] updates to gism2 - Feb 6, 2006

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Mon Feb 6 08:43:32 EST 2006

Michael,

I tested your fixes out this morning, and encountered no problems - thanks!

I have a few ideas/comments/requests:

1) Would it be possible to be able to open .dm and .dmrc files in the gis
manager? I notice that gism complains about a dm file being a bad file
format. Alternatively, is there a simple hack that could be applied to a dm
file via a text edit to make it gism compatible? I've customized my dm file
for each location pretty extensively, I'm just trying to avoid having to
rebuild each one from scratch.

2) IMO, I think the panning/zooming tools ought to be 'sticky', as the old
dm tools were. Panning and zooming remains 'on' until the user signals they
are finished (right-click, as before ?). This would aviod the repetitive
back-and-forth clicking on the toolbar. As well, I think the help message
that displays on each zoom/pan tool click should only display once each
session (maybe include some kind of verbose flag in a setup file that could
kill the display of help messages?)

3) I noticed that resizes of the display canvas occasionally give an EOF
error - I can't reproduce it on every resize, but it comes and goes. I've
attached the log file. Also, if the display canvas is resized in height ( ~
100 pixels or more), the green background of the display canvas under the
display tools grows in proportion to the canvas height increase - minor
gripe.

4) And this item isn't a complaint! I like the addition of d.histogram,
d.rast.num, and d.rast.arrow tools to the main gism, especially d.histogram.
Anything that streamlines the use of any tool will mean they will get used
more in general, so thanks for that.

~ Eric.