[GRASSLIST:10263] Re: gismlegend.txt problem

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Feb 11 12:05:44 EST 2006

Peter,

This is not a problem with v.what, but is a function of the way queries
interact with displays in general.

D.vect *displays* vector objects, but does not create a subset of vector
objects. When you include an SQL statement in d.vect, it can limit what is
*displayed* to the screen, but does not change the fact that other vector
objects still exist. They simply are not visible.

The query modules (including both d.what.vect and v.what) will list
information about vector objects that exist (i.e., georeferenced by
topology) at a particular xy location. D.what.vect acquires its xy location
by clicking on an xmonitor and while the user (or GUI) must supply xy
locations to v.what.

So the query modules will always give you information on whatever vector
objects exist at an xy location, whether or not they are visible or hidden
by d.vect.

To actually subset a vector file--so that any subsequent query will ONLY
find vector objects in that subset--you need to use v.extract or v.select.
These create a new vector file containing ONLY the desired objects.

Conceptually, the same thing goes for raster files.

I hope that this better explains how display and querying interact in GRASS.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213