[GRASSLIST:10305] Re: New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 15 02:43:11 EST 2006

Trevor Wiens wrote:

> I'll add my opinion on this zoom question. BTW, the futher revisions to
> the new GIS Manager look good. Great stuff.
>
> I would suggest that rather than having a zoom in tool and a zoom out
> tool that there is a zoom tool. Drawing a rectangle to zoom in and
> right clicking to zoom out. This is similar to many drawing programs
> I've used and is relatively intuitive. If we are concerned about people
> with inadequate numbers of mouse buttons then replace the right click
> to zoom out with holding down ALT and left clicking to zoom out. This
> too is relatively intuitive.

I'd suggest using a modifier key rather than a separate mouse button.
Even on Windows, where you're almost certain to have at least 2
buttons (trackpads usually have a key to allow right-clicks to be
simulated), the official UI guidelines state the the right mouse
button is only ever used to bring up the context menu.

gis.m definitely shouldn't try to copy the behaviour of existing
programs such as d.zoom etc. Those programs were constrained by the
fact that the only input mechanism provided by the display
architecture was mouse clicks; there was no way to receive keystrokes
or modifiers.