[GRASSLIST:10306] Re: New release candidate 3 of GIS Manager 2

Māris Nartišs maris.nartiss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:20:04 EST 2006

Hi all,

I just want to add a bit to flamefest.

Before started discussion about toolkit for our new, shiny GRASS GUI I
asked to first answer more important questions like target audience of
GRASS, GRASS place beside other GIS apps, systems that should run
GRASS (think embedded) etc. It was somehow missed as everybody
concentrated on Qt vs GTK vs Tk.
Now different devs/users have different targets and thus this
discussion is neverending as discussions participants hunt for
different targets.

About topic - I find zoom in/out by specifying area of interest good
and usefull. For fixed zoom in/out could be another pair of buttons,
as they do NOT require additional mouse clicks. Thus works ArcGIS 8.x
- 4 buttons for zooming in/out + zoom to full + prev/next zoom/extent.
For me it is good and clear, but newcomers (students) can not
understand how to work with all of those tools. It needs some
practise. So - is GRASS for pro users or we going to  fight with QGIS
for newbies and drop advanced(?) and usefull features?

Maris.

PS. I haven't seen any app that would be easy to use and would release
tool after single use. I prefer to use tool as long as I don't select
another tool.

2006/2/15, Trevor Wiens <twiens at interbaun.com>:
> Michael,
<cut>