[GRASSLIST:10326] Re: robinson (winkel) projection

Ian MacMillan Ian.MacMillan at pomona.edu
Wed Feb 15 15:05:17 EST 2006

William, I have not seen this with my Robinson locations.  Are you sure
about this?  Could it be that your original dataset was using a sphere
but you imported it into a wgs84 location.  I had this trouble
originally with Smith and Sandwell data.  Seems like a major bug if
your observation is true.  Has anyone else ever seen this with Robinson
projections?

-Ian

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:00 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> One important thing I found - use a sphere, not an ellipsoid.  If you
> use an ellipsoid, there will be an approx. 20000m N-S shift at around
> 45 deg N and S (for the Robinson, at least), which is quite noticable
> at any scale.  I agonized over this for a while, using WGS84 ellipsoid
> out of habit, and even thought it was a bug, until I figured out the
> cause.  -> use a sphere for global projections.
>

> On Feb 15, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Ian MacMillan wrote:
>
>> Otto, I have made some robinson locations for my work, and the
>> process is pretty straight forward.  After selecting 'create new
>> location' when first opening grass, select that you would like to use
>> 'Other Projection' when asked for your coord. system.  When asked to
>> specify your projection name, just use 'robin'.  Select your datum as
>> usual.  You will then have to input your central parallel, central
>> meridian, and preferred units.  For most robinson projections that
>> you see in atlases, the central parallel is the equator (0), and the
>> central meridian is the Greenwich meridian (also 0).  I usually use
>> meters as my preferred units.
>>
>> Degrees would be really nice as a standard unit for these kinds of
>> projections, but since their absolute length varies depending on your
>> location on the earth, they can't be used in grass.  My workaround to
>> this has been to make a vector grid in a latlong location that is
>> spaced about ten or fifteen degrees apart for the entire earth.  I
>> then project (with v.proj) that vector file into my robinson location
>> as a first step so that I can see where I am in the world.
>>
>> Once you are done with all of that, use r.proj and v.proj at your
>> leisure in your new location.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Ian
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2006, at 4:25 AM, Otto Dassau wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to convert a lat/lon map into a robinson (winkel)
>>> projection.
>>>
>>> does anybody has experience with the creation of a robinson (winkel)
>>> projektion in GRASS? It seems to be supported (robin, winkel,...)
>>> but I
>>> haven't found out, how to create a robin location in GRASS and which
>>> parameters a normaly used.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>   Otto
>
> -----
> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> [Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
> robot?
>
> [Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
> you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
> 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
> answer...
>
> - HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry