[GRASSLIST:10366] importing projection info with v.in.ogr

Chris Fonnesbeck fonnesbeck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:25:15 EST 2006

When I import a shapefile using v.in.ogr:

v.in.ogr dsn=./ layer=cntbnd location=florida out=counties

It seems to recognize the information in the .prj file, and imports
the layer correctly. However, I notice that it does not create a
PRJ_INFO file, so subsequent importing of the layer into another
location with v.proj is impossible. It seems strange that the
projection information does not get explicitly imported into the new
location; am I doing something wrong?

It seems like a roundabout way, in any case, to import a shapefile of
a different projection into an existing project. Is there any way of
doing this directly, rather than having to create a new location with
v.in.ogr, then move the layer into the current project with v.layer?

Thanks,
C.

--
Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us