[GRASSLIST:10606] Re: problems with GIS managerRe: GRASS 6.1c vs gis.m error

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Mon Feb 27 07:56:53 EST 2006

Michael and Vishal,

I think I may have reproduced the same error as Vishal here. I downloaded
Generic Linux Binary Feb.25, as well as gis.m tar package dated Feb24th.
After a regular install (i.e., tar xvf Grass 6.1 cvs, extracted gis.m to
$GISBASE/etc, copied gis.m to $GISBASE/etc/scripts, copied v.what/ and
monitorcap to $GISBASE/etc) Grass starts ok - the display manager launches,
and no errors are reported on the CLI. Trying to start x0 gives the
following error:

Could not execute monitor: No such file or directory
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.

A similar message is produced for every other monitor. I also noticed that
in the Feb.25th Grass 6.1 binary, there is no monitorcap file in
$GISBASE/etc. I believe there used to a be a monitorcap file here a few
weeks ago, because I remember having to remove/overwrite it with the one
from the gis.m tarfile. Is this normal?

If I close the display manager and try to lauch the gis manager, I get:

Could not execute monitor: No such file or directory

Map display 1 window builds, but as I've had happen before, the splash
screen displays and freezes in the middle of the screen.

When I kill the Map Display 1 window, the following messages are given on
the CLI:

Collecting map names for current mapset <PERMANENT>...
forcing ......
g.remove region=mon_1
REMOVE [mon_1]
region definition