[GRASSLIST:9718] Re: which linux distribution?

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:08:21 EST 2006

If you are already used to Debian, but want something more up-to-date,
I recommend you try Ubuntu (http://ubuntulinux.org/). It is Debian
based, and very good. Just don't forget to check on the Ubuntu wiki
what you need to install in order to be able to compile stuff.

Carlos

On 1/4/06, Robert Kuszinger <kuszinger at giscom.hu> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm planning to put a second HDD into my notebook for using grass as it
> seems to be
> much more up-to-date and better on Linux than under Cygwin (which is good
> for many things, really, and good to have, but I better use Linux for
> production)
>
> My question is, which Linux distribution to choose?
>
> I have Debian but that is versions back for stability (i do understand) and
> if I switch to the unstable tree in sources.list it starts to create strange
> links
> (if I install a library, it uninstalls another and changes version and I
> loose an important package,
> etc)
>
> What do you use for compiling/development, for example? Which one is the
> best.
> My main target application is GRASS, so this is the main point.
>
> thanks
>
> Robert

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke