[GRASSLIST:9809] v.surf.idw batch processing

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Thu Jan 12 20:30:41 EST 2006

Hello,

I am trying to use v.surf.idw instead of v.surf.rst because it seems to
suite better my 105 unequally spaced weather stations in California in
terms of interpolated raster: the range of the data is respected and
there is no issue of tension and smoothing.

I wrote a script to batch-process a series of tables containing
geo-referenced data that I import via v.in.ascii for subsequent
interpolation.

Whith v.surf.rst the imported vector with data points is the only input
and the appropriate attribute column has already been selected while
importing via v.in.ascii by putting the correct column number=z.

However, whith v.surf.idw, in addition to the input vector, there is
also a "col" string parameter which selects an attribute table column.
So far, I have to open the DBF attribute table (where there are not just
3 columns) and figure out a weird column name such as "dbl_4" that
matches the column I want to interpolate (that I have already chosen
when importing with v.in.ascii).

Why v.surf.rst can access the right column without any other
specification and v.surf.idw cannot? Is there a fix for batch processing?

Thanks,

Luigi