[GRASSLIST:9845] Re: GPS Tracklog points to lines (GPS Babel)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 18:12:02 EST 2006

Hi,

I am the author of (the modern) v.in.garmin. It all "works fine for me".

I don't know why it isn't working for you, can you run gpstrans by
itself and send me the -dt track file so I can test your data?

And a copy of what is written to the console (use -v verbose mode) when
you attempt to load a track?

Are you using the *very* latest CVS version of the script?
  http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/scripts/v.in.garmin/

Which model garmin? 1/2 inch round connector to serial or new smaller
usb cable?

No promises by the 19th, but I will be doing some testing with this (and
v.in.gpsbabel) in the next week or so before heading back out into
the field. I hope Davide Spano and Claudio Porta's v.in.gpsbabel will
provide a Mac solution too. (not sure if gpstrans works on Mac?)

v.in.gpsbabel (rename it v.in.gps?) was posted by its authors to
the "grass5" (grass developer's) mailing list yesterday or so. forwarding
it to you. If all goes well it will be in CVS soon.

gpstrans + USB has always been reported non-functional in the past,
interesting to hear of (some) success. gpstrans is old & not maintained,
but has always worked for older garmins over a serial connection AFAIK.

Dylan wrote:
> I, and many others on this list have had similar problems.
..
> I know that it is possible to get tracklog _lines_ imported into GRASS
>
> via v.in.garmin , but it seemed like that functionality was broken
> sometime in the last 7 months or so.

I wasn't aware the problems were that widespread. Could be I am using a
Debian awk extension that isn't standard across distros??

My recent work has been logging 10 sec positions directly with a custom
gpsd client in situ instead of downloading tracks afterwards, so I
haven't tried in a few months. Will post my findings.

FWIW, my versions of v.in.garmin were tested with a garmin 48, 45, and
12XL (all pretty much the same unit).

Hamish