[GRASSLIST:10087] Re: v.to.db syntax

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Tue Jan 31 09:52:56 EST 2006

Michael,

Thanks for the response. As it turns out the columns were actually
named "x" and "y". I re-ran the command v.to.db NAME_OF_GRASS_VECTOR
option=coor col=x,y and it worked perfectly (I have no idea what was
going on earlier... oh well).

For Markus and Tom, thanks for all your suggestions as well. As it
turns out the simple explanation was the x and y attributes in the
original .dbf file (that came with the .shp file) were just plain
broken. In that their coordinates did not match up the correct
geometry in the .shp file.
Again, I have no idea why. However, it does not matter, because of
the very cool command v.to.db, which did what it promised and
extracted the correct geometry from the vector and wrote it to the x
and y attibutes in the associated database table.

This was a case of Murphy's Law where, if you try a new analysis or
command, the dataset that you are try it out on will inevitably be
faulty in some way. That way, when your analysis does not work, you
will be left thinking that you did something wrong, and then spend
two days figuring out that it was not you... it was the data.  ;-)

Thanks again,