[GRASS-user] 360 degree view from a given point

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 15:34:09 EDT 2006

Hello Ludwig

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Ludwig Max Brinckmann wrote:

> Just had a quick look through the old manual pages, so I guess it might do
> the trick.
> Does anybody have an idea how much porting effort is involved? What is the
> reason it is not maintained?

As far I remember the two different versions (cmd and inter - command-line
and interactive) had slightly different functionality but the code was all
mixed up together (i.e. not in separate cmd and inter directories as in other
pre-GRASS 6 modules) and some was shared and some separate. It would be a
lot of work to merge it all cleanly into one definitive set of functionality.
Might not be quite as much work work to get *most* of the functionality ported.

Bob Covill has added support to NVIZ for setting an explicit viewer
location and centre of view, and for saving this as a 3d.view file in the
GRASS database - I think this works now but I have never tested it.
Before this was added, and if you didn't have access to a Silicon Graphics
machine to run SG3d on, d.3d was the only choice if you wanted fine
control (by typing in co-ordinates and angles etc; not using the mouse)
over the 3-D view parameters.

FWIW SG3d was quite amazing and years ahead of its time; still has some
features that (as far as I'm aware) aren't in NVIZ such as projecting a
global Lat-long location onto a sphere.

Paul