[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 4 15:15:44 EDT 2006

Frank Broniewski wrote:

> Finally! I figured out the problem. I could relate the problem to
> my /tmp/ directory, where grass stores the new location directories, I
> suppose.

The /tmp/grass6-<user>-<pid> directories contain per-session state
(the $GISRC file, as well as any sockets used for display monitors).

There should be one such directory created for each session. They
should be deleted when the session terminates, but they are often left
behind. Stale directories shouldn't cause any problems, unless they
are owned by someone other than the user.

The directory and any files which it contains should be owned by the
user whose username appears in the directory name. If that isn't the
case, it suggests that something outside of GRASS is responsible.