[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jul 7 11:16:57 EDT 2006

Frank Broniewski wrote:

> > > I am back again, and with me my problem with location creation from epsg code.
> > > I am testing different linux distros and now I have Ubuntu 6.06
> > > installed. I went into the package manager to install grass and all
> > > necessary dependencies.
> > >
> > > And then I start grass for the very first time, choose my folder as
> > > database, enter my epsg code and quit grass for the new location
> > > creation.
> > >
> > > Upon starting grass again, the console notices: ERROR: LOCATION
> > > << /home/frank/grassdata/8507.tmp >> not available
> > > and I can't find my created location. Since I now know where to look for
> > > the temporary things during location creation, I look into my /tmp/
> > > folder, but there is no such folder (a 8507 one). I find two grass6-...
> > > folders there, both from the same time. Both have only a gisrc file in
> > > them. The folder with the smaller number (8468) has the following
> > > content:
> > >
> > > GISDBASE: /home/frank
> > > LOCATION_NAME: <UNKNOWN>
> > > MAPSET: <UNKNOWN>
> > > GRASS_GUI: tcltk
> > >
> > > the other one (8516):
> > >
> > > LOCATION_NAME: 8507.tmp
> > > MAPSET: PERMANENT
> > > DIGITIZER: none
> > > GISDBASE: /home/frank/grassdata
> > > GRASS_GUI: tcltk
> >
> > What does:
> >
> > 	ls -lR /home/frank/grassdata
> >
> > say?
>
> thanks for answering my post. ls -lR /home/frank/grassdata just says
>
> /home/frank/grassdata/:
> insgesamt 0
>
> where insgesamt means total, though this might be obvious ;)

It appears that the "g.proj -c" command is failing to create the
location, but without indicating an error.

The make_location_epsg.sh script creates a temporary location in
<pid>.tmp, then runs "g.proj -c" to create the real location. If
g.proj indicates an error (non-zero exit code), the script terminates,
otherwise it deletes the temporary location.

I can't really tell any more than that.