[GRASS-user] First impressions and bug reports / wishlist

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 10 17:02:34 EDT 2006

Much of what you find 'repulsing' is changed rather radically in 6.1. I'd
recommend installing that instead of 6.0.

ALL parts of GRASS, including the user interface, are produced by volunteer
developers. Ease of use is important to all users. However, GUI programming
turns out to be extraordinarily complex and time consuming. There are
probably more lines of code in the GUI (by orders of magnitude) than in any
other GRASS module. That's just the nature of the beast. However, the more
people willing to work together on it, the better it can be.

QGIS is a very nice program, but is not GRASS. For a variety of technical
and other reasons, it cannot 'come to the rescue'. However, you can access a
number of GRASS features from QGIS by installing the GRASS plugins.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213