[GRASS-user] memory use of grass modules

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 08:41:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

I want to know how grass modules uses computer memory?

Some of my v.in.ogr and r.in.gdal and r.mapcalc operations fails
because my computer lacks sufficient ram (dismal 256 MB on XP using
Cygwin).

Based from the documentation I've read only the r.watershed has option
to enable disk swap memory option.  What about the other modules like
v.in.ogr, r.in.gdal and mapcalc operations?

AFAIK, XP do not have swap memory so that means I can't use one.  Does
the r.mapcalc operations for instance uses RAM before writing the
whole file?  I'm not sure if I have made the right questions.

In order to go around this problem, I'm trying to create subtiles of
the data and do some analysis from there.  How can I approximate the
maximum extent for each region that can be processed by my RAM?  I've
read somewhere fragstats gives you an approximate RAM requirements and
time of processing given a number of cells in a grid (not sure though)
.

Hope someone would clarify me on this or direct for a link I can go.

Cheers,

Maning

--
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |