[GRASS-user] retrieving results from r.surf.area and help browser

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 23:07:20 EDT 2006

> > I am trying to make a script to calculate the surface roughness using
> > r.surf.area.
> > I already managed to make it change the region settings according to a
> > specified grid size, but I don't know how to get the outpu from
> > r.surf.area, so I could store these values in a temp file and then
> > interpolate it rst.
> >
> > One other thing I was thinking, way the default fallback for help
> > browser is konkeror? Considering that most people that rund GRASS on
> > linux probably use firefox also, wouldn't this a better option? I
> > mean, I don't use KDE, but I have to install it on my system a few
> > days ago, and now my help pages load on konkeror (I set
> > GRASS_HTML_BROWSER with g.setenv, but didn't change anything).
>
> What if you set it to 'mozilla', not 'firefox' (just a dumb guess, as
> that's how it's set on my Grass installation by default).

$GISBASE/etc/Init.sh:

It does use konqueror over other choices. Maybe the order could be
adjusted.

note if you set it to firefox it may open the help page over an existing
page instead of in a new window/tab.
   (see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html)

if [ ! "$GRASS_HTML_BROWSER" ] ; then
    for i in `echo "$PATH" | sed 's/^:/.:/
                                s/::/:.:/g
                                s/:$/:./
                                s/:/ /g'`
    do
        if [ -f "$i/htmlview" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=htmlview
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/konqueror" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=konqueror
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/mozilla" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=mozilla
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/mozilla-firefox" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=mozilla-firefox
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/opera" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=opera
            break
        elif [ -f "$i/netscape" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=netscape
            break
        elif [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powermac" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powerpc" ]
 ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=open
            break
        elif [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "arm" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=dillo
            break
        elif [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "arm" ] ; then
            GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=dillo2
            break
        elif [ "$CYGWIN" ] ; then
            iexplore="$SYSTEMDRIVE/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
            if [ -f "$iexplore" ] ; then
                GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=$iexplore
            else
                GRASS_HTML_BROWSER="iexplore"
            fi
            break
        fi
    done
fi
if [ ! "$GRASS_HTML_BROWSER" ] ; then
    echo "Searching for web browser, but neither konqueror, nor mozilla, opera, netscape found."
    # so we set konqueror, though, to make lib/gis/parser.c happy:
    GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=konqueror
fi
export GRASS_HTML_BROWSER