[GRASS-user] SQLite - Mac OS X

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Thu Jun 1 16:37:48 EDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006 18:44:46 -0600
Dave Kent <dkent at sasktel.net> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I am trying to move to SQLite database from dbf using latest CVS
> (Mr. Moretti binaries, 30 May 06)  on Mac 10.4.
>
> I have not installed SQLite but am using the version embedded in
> Tiger 10.4  Is this sufficient?
>
> I have successfully imported a small .shp file and viewed it with
> SQLite Database Browser.
>
> db.connect works.
>
> db.test returns all OK except for
>
> 	RESULT: OK
> 	select c1 from grass_test1 where d1 < 500 / 2 and i1 <> 2
> and c1 ~ 'bc'
> 	-SQLite driver error:
> 	Error in sqlite3_prepare():select c1 from grass_test1 where
> d1 < 500 / 2 and i1 <> 2  and c1 ~ 'bc'
>
> 	near "~": syntax error

See: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4056

Maybe this sheds some light.

> I have a problem importing a points file with v.in.ascii.  The
> import works well with dbf driver.  When I change to SQLite driver
> (no other changes) I get the following error:
>
> 	Length of column 3 (-1) is less than maximum value length (9)
>
> I have specified column 3 as 'name1 varchar(30)'  Is there a
> different syntax to specify character string variables in SQLite?

Don't know.

But note sqlite might have issues with column types in general, eg.:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2006-May/034371.html.

Also note it could be VERY slow in some operations:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2006-February/032476.html

sqlite driver could be a really great stuff, only it needs polishing.
ANYBODY?

Maciek