[GRASS-user] Problem with Nviz : first post

Prof Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 16:47:51 EDT 2006

Dear all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Please also note that I am new
to Linux and GRASS (less than 4 days!!) - so it is safe to assume that I
know nothing!.

I have managed to get GRASS6 up and running on fedora core 5 (after some
"fun" installing tcl/tk libraries). When I enter Nviz and try to display the
elevation.dem from the Spearfish60 sample dataset the visualisation appears
for about 10 seconds and then disappears - no error messages are reported to
help sort the problem. The control window is empty.

I may have confused the software with my tcl/tk installation antics - I now
have both tcl/tk 8.4 and 8.5 libaries in my /usr/lib directory but only the
8.4 library is reported when I test the installation in the command window.
I do not know how to uninstall 8.5 (I could not get GRASS to work with the
8.5 libraries). Is this the source of my problem or am I completely missing
the point?

Any help with what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Darrel