[GRASS-user] Update of vector table through selections in the map

Andreas Philipp andreas.philipp at geo.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Jun 8 18:40:28 EDT 2006

Jonathan,
I forgot some explanations and warnings, which are necessary to run this crude
script (v.digatt):
work on a copy of your map since it is not tested and no good argument
verification is done at the present state yet.
If you start with
"v.digatt input=map1 output=map2 type=point col=sect ctype=INT"
all objects having no attribute in column "sect" are displayed in random
colors and thicker, all objects already assigned to an attribute are shown
with colors from blue to red (this is designed for numeric attributes and
lines, but should work on points too, though has to be redesigned for points,
areas an VARCHAR attributes). After a few checks you can zoom within your
display to a region where you have points to work at. If you finished zooming
(right click), you have to type in an attribute value and afterwards click on
all objects that should get this value. I you have finished (right click) in
this zoom region all assignments should be done by updating the table. The
updated map will be shown and you can move your working window by zooming
again, and so on until you say "q" for "quit" instead of typing in a
attribute value. Hope that works, I will work more on it in order to make it
more save an self explaining, e.g. an appropriate help function, check
arguments and so on, but may be someone can code it in C within v.digit??? It
is really an important function for many applications it seems. BTW (speaking
to the list now) is it intended that r.to.vect omits to register the
extracted vector objects and assigns no category numbers? This causes much
trouble for subsequent processing.
Cheers,
Andreas