[GRASS-user] Newbie question on g.region

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Jun 8 21:49:42 EDT 2006

For some reason, the moderator isn't approving this message, but I'll
post it again assuming a computer glitch.

Yes, I know it is frustrating to deal with newbies, but we all have to
start somewhere.

My ultimate goal for GRASS is to do viewshed analysis with r.los. I have
downloaded NED files from the USGS seamless website. I have also managed
to convert the .adf file to geotiff using gdal_translate.

My problem concerns starting up GRASS. When I try to run r.in.gdal, I
get an error message regarding the default region is not set. I gather
I'm not initializing GRASS properly.

I'm using my own PC, so I can run as root to avoid directory permission
issues.

I have the "Grass 6 in a nutshell handy" if you need to reference it.

Thanks in advance.