[GRASS-user] Newbie question on g.region

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 9 12:33:19 EDT 2006

The new GRASS 6.1 startup has an option to create a location from a
georeferenced map.

If you already have a location (i.e., projection) set up and something in
it, but are having region issues, you can use g.region to set the region of
interest to match the map you have

G.region rast=[mapname]

This will set up the region properly to match the resolution and extents of
your map.

I should also point out that NED are derived from topo contour lines and
often have poorly interpolated topography, such that they have a step-like
quality. I'd recommend using the 30m SRTM's instead. I haven't had trouble
with r.los, but r.cva is a much more versatile tool. It's only drawback is
it's EXTREME slowness when doing multiple viewsheds.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213