[GRASS-user] Problem with Nviz : first post

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 9 14:27:56 EDT 2006

I hope you find GRASS useful. I think it is an excellent research tool and
prefer it over others available. It's closest real competitor, in terms of
approach and function, IMHO is Idrisi. ArcGIS has a somewhat different
orientation, thought both GRASS and ArcGIS can be applied to the same kinds
of problems of course.

A couple of tips. First, think raster--especially if you are used to ArcGIS,
MapInfo, or many other GIS packages. What these programs do with vectors,
GRASS often does with rasters, and often in an easier, more straightforward
manner. So if you are looking in the docs for how to achieve a particular
solution, look at raster first. That said, the GRASS vector modules are
pretty solid, expecially points and networking (interpolation is quite
good), and DBMS connectivity is excellent (though there aren't many tools
for database management in GRASS).

Second, GRASS is not a cartographic package. If you want high-quality
output, either use ps.map (a nice GUI for it is now available on the GRASS
WIKI) or save  your display to a graphics file and use a dedicated graphics
program to do things. Again, this is improving rather rapidly.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671