[GRASS-user] Problem with Nviz : first post

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 19:15:51 EDT 2006

Professor -

"Nothing worthwhile was ever easy"

Hang in there.  if you managed to get grass and Linux installed *and*
running in 3 days, then i'd say your off to a good start!

As someone recommended in previous post, stick with FC4 to take the road of
least resistance, unless you want to be a pioneer in working through new
release issues with the developers (which i'm sure is encouraged).  I've
installed GRASS from source on FC4, and would be glad to help, although i'm
certainly not an expert.  If you work with the community in posting errors
and resolving problems, the rewards will be plentiful and favor both parties
involved.  It's one of the ways open source software gains strength.

Your situation is special and very important:  having the ability to teach
GIS on an open source platform to students who will go forth and use GRASS
in their careers.  They will in turn help use, and possibly even contribute
to, the evolution of GRASS. Not everyone has the capability to show the
masses this amazing alternative to commercial GIS and OS.

"I am certain it has many advantages over commercially available packages
but it must be robust enough to actually trust."

the robustness (reliability) you seek is there, as well as the advantages.
But first the system (Linux & GRASS) must be running correctly for that
attribute to be applicable.  I have to use ESRI software (due to situational
circumstances), that is $14K USD retail last i was told (that price doesnt
include the raster analysis module).  I have been using it for over 10
years, and lived through the abandonment of the UNIX world command line
(around 2000), and software re-write to windows @rcMap, which in my opinion
is the antonym of robust; so much to the point that i use the command line
workstation version to come as close to robustness as i can in a windows
environment for data creation and modification.  @rcMap is the reason I
sought out other GIS software, and I couldnt be more pleased to have entered
the world of GRASS and experience GIS the way it was meant to be.

Help abounds.  just keep asking questions.

Best of luck, and keep the faith.
Mark