[GRASS-user] Help compiling under fedore 5 - "couldn't find gdal-config"

Ian Allan iallan at geocode.com.au
Sun Jun 11 04:49:31 EDT 2006

Hi

I taking the advice of messages surrounding darrel maddy's nviz problem
(mine too), I decided to download the    grass-6.0.2.tar.gz     source
file & compile it. After typing in     CFLAGS=-g -Wall"
./configure       as per the instructions I get a    "couldn't find
gdal-config"     message. I have installed (and uninstalled and
reinstalled)...

gdal-1.3.1-2.i386  and
gdal-bin-1.3.1-2.i386.

When I do a     "locate gdal"      I get reference to a number of files
in the following directories...

/usr/bin
/usr/lib  ( including    libgdal.so.1   and    libgdal.so.1.9.0)
/usr/share/gdal

However, in no directory is there such a file called "gdal" as is
suggested by the error message.

On and off over the last couple of years (for days and sometimes weeks
at a time) I have been trying to get GRASS working. I even  purchased a
dedicated linux machine-GRASS following difficulties with cygwin-GRASS
under windows. Still I could not get the full suite to work so I
recently rebuilt my system using fedora core 5 in the hope that would
work. Alas, more tears. I am at my witts end.

P L E A S E    CAN SOMEONE HELP.

Thanks

Ian Allan

--

Ian Allan
Director Geocode Mapping and Analysis P/L

Email: iallan at geocode.com.au
Web: www.geocode.com.au