[GRASS-user] Help compiling under fedore 5 - "couldn't find gdal-config"

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Sun Jun 11 05:09:32 EDT 2006

Hallo,

IMHO it has no sence to build 6.0.x from source, unless you do very well
know, why you do it. If you try "just to install GRASS" and you are
compiling it by your self, you should use 6.1.

Now to your problem

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 06:49:31PM +1000, Ian Allan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I taking the advice of messages surrounding darrel maddy's nviz problem
> (mine too), I decided to download the    grass-6.0.2.tar.gz     source
> file & compile it. After typing in     CFLAGS=-g -Wall"
> ./configure       as per the instructions I get a    "couldn't find
> gdal-config"     message. I have installed (and uninstalled and
> reinstalled)...

the configure script does have some options, which will help the script
to find necessery programs and settings, see ./configure --help

> gdal-1.3.1-2.i386  and
> gdal-bin-1.3.1-2.i386.

gdal-bin package should have program called gdal-config. what does

which gdal-config

or

locate gdal-config

say?

you should then run ./configure with path to gdal-config, e.g.:

./configure --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config

Hope, this helps

Jachym