[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASSLIST:1115] Re: layers in vector datasets

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:13:00 EDT 2006

more questions on layers (perhaps overflowing into v.patch)...

i did a v.patch of some points, street lines, and lines that connect the
points to streets.  then i did the v.clean to snap and break the new node
points.

when i query by mouse on the display, the streets from the v.patch output, i
get somethings i dont understand:

1) it doesnt seem that v.clean is doing any snapping or breaking.  i click
on a street line (in the v.patch output file) and it shows one line where
the other line feature was patched in to connect to the streets.  i would
have expected a node and a break in the line to occur?  i used v.clean with
the point and line features and a threshhold of .1.

2) in the v.patch output, when i click on the street lines, it comes up in
the FORM box (under the map, mapset, feature type, length) Layer: 1,
category: 75, Database connection not defined.  at this point i
intentionally dont have any database connections defined, as i'm just trying
to get a simple geometric network to run through v.net.steiner.

3) in the v.patch output, when i click on the lines connecting the points to
the streets, there is no information in the FORM that comes up.  I do get
the map, mapset, feature type, length).  in QGIS this shows as line feature,
layer 0.  the streets show as line feature, layer 1.

any reason why after v.patch i get the lines on different layers?