[GRASS-user] geomorphological maps

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 01:02:18 EDT 2006

Manuel Seeger wrote:

> I'm still starting to use GRASS, and I have to admit that I did not
> very much yet. But I want to go so... so I have some questions:
> With our students we want to transfer geomorphologicla maps gained in
> the field into GIS. Is there a symbology for this in GRASS, has
> someone built one? Can I build my own symbols?

Two kinds:

1) symbols
2) area fill (hatching)

What kind of symbology did you have in mind?
I suspect you want (2.b) below? e.g. http://www.athro.com/geo/seframe.html

1.a) symbols in display monitors
  d.vect and d.graph will let you represent point data with display
symbols. (custom scale or color based on an attribute column is allowed,
moslty in GRASS 6.1-cvs version)

built-in symbols:

basic/:
arrow2  circle  cross2  marker   point    star     x
arrow1  box     cross1  diamond  octagon  pushpin  triangle

demo/:
muchomurka  smrk

extra/:
4pt_star  airport  alpha_flag  compass  dive_flag  half-circle  target

These are simple text files- you can also create custom ones.
see
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/IconSymbols

1.b) symbols in ps.map

Much the same as for d.vect, d.graph you can use point symbols.
Also in ps.map you can use Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) for symbols.
I hope that someone will one day write some conversion code to translate
.eps to d.graph commands so d.graph can display .eps too.

2.a) area filling in display monitors

You can pick a random color based on category or custom color based on
an attribute column. For raster maps use r.colors to set colors.
I don't think hatching is done easily? (nothing's impossible...)

2.b) area filling (hatching) in ps.map

Yes - see vareas "pattern filling" command.

http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/ps.map.html#vareas

I would very much like to see some common patterns added onto the Wiki
page like we have for the custom symbols repository above.

regards,
Hamish