[GRASS-user] String length error in v.in.ascii

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 21:07:09 EDT 2006

Eric Patton wrote:

> I keep receiving a string length error message when attempting to
> import an ascii file in a script I'm writing, and I can't figure out
> what the problem with my input is.
..
> Here's my v.in.ascii call:
>
> v.in.ascii input=vect_temp_utm_formatted output=${OUTPUT} fs=" "
> columns='x double precision, y double precision, cat int, ID
> varchar(12), Date varchar(10), Time varchar(10)' x=1 y=2 cat=3 --o

IIUC, "Date" is a reserved SQL type and can not be used as a column
name.

http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/sql.html

If I change that to something else (but "_Date" is no good), your sample
data loads ok for me.

It doesn't make any difference but you can use fs=space if you like.

> And error:
..
> ERROR: Length of column 4 (-1) is less than maximum value length (6)

-1? strange. lib/db/dbmi_base/column.c

Hamish