[GRASS-user] SRTM interpolation to sub-meter

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Jun 23 02:48:20 EDT 2006

maning sambale wrote on 06/22/2006 06:41 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I have a SRTM DEM data from CGIAR (http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/).  I'm
> trying to do local sea-level rise modelling.

Note that there is SRTM Version 2 out - with improvements. AFAIK
SRTM DEM data from CGIAR is based on SRTM V1, but postprocessed.

> Suppose I want it resampled to 30 meters with elevation at a
> centimeters or millimeter units.  Any thoughts on how to do this?

Not sure if you gain anything because the vertical precision is 10m or so.

> I believe the SRTM data are integer formats in meters.  Converting
> them to floating point does not necessaily enable you to do sub-meter
> elevation calculations.  Am I correct in my assumptions?

That's right. The information content doesn't change if you "just" change
the representation from integer to float. Additional information would be
needed to enrich the dataset.

Markus