[GRASS-user] cost analysis

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:46:56 EDT 2006

Maria,

A simple approach would be to construct a composite "travel friction" map. I
have done this before (example to follow) using a slope map, wooded areas
map, and water feature map. This was for predicting least cost trails through
a wilderness area minimizing:
-travel across high slope gradient
-travel through water features

and maximizing:
-travel through wooded areas

The details can be found here:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/244

The general concept is:
create a slope map, as as starting "friction" surface.
encode other information into this map via r.mapcalc
run r.cost
run r.drain

Cheers,

Dylan