[GRASS-user] cost analysis

María Piquer Rodríguez mpiquer80 at yahoo.es
Thu Jun 29 05:47:14 EDT 2006

Hello,
  I would like to perform a nature connectivity analysis, generation of paths connecting natural areas, taking into account several cost grids (eg: land-use, level of protection, kind of soil,vegetation,etc).

  I have read that the r.cost is an option (http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/r.cost.html) but I would need to use more than one cost grid. The option that r.walk (http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/r.walk.html) offers is not so suitable for me as the elevation in my study is not so relevant (it is quite a flat area).

  Does anyone knows if with the r.cost it is possible to integrate more than one grid for the least cost computation? or if for r.walk the elevation grid can be another grid(s) instead of the elevation one?.

  Of course the option of computing, for several overlaying grids, the per cel cost  in the r.mapcalc before hand is always possible.But I was wondering if there is an application available that performs such a multigrid least-cost calculation automatically.

  The option that r.drain (http://grass.itc.it/grass61/manuals/html61_user/r.drain.html) gives is also very interesting for my study. The generation of the least cost path is a very good way to select connectivity areas between natural patches. But again r.drain operates taking into account an elevation data set and a cost grid one. Does it exists a module as r.drain taking into account several cost grids, not especially the elevation one, for calculating a least-cost path?

  Anyother option that I did not mention here is more than welcomed!

  Thanks you very much for your help.

  Regards,
  María Piquer

    María Piquer Rodríguez