[GRASS-user] initiating into grass world, help!

pmarc paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:35:00 EDT 2006

2006/6/28, Ana Isabel Rodríguez <kidoki42 at hotmail.com>:

> hello i'm starting using grass and i would like to know which kind of maps i
> can use, i only have sone images "*.tif" and grass can't open them. Please i
> don't know what does raster and vector means, and i don't know where to find
> the maps of my country i need for my project.

Ana,

To import tiff images, you canuse r.in.gdal (just use 'r.in.gdal help'
for a small explanation of the arguments). However, you have to be
sure that all files are in the same projection (use gdalinfo for that,
and reproject with gdalwarp if needed)

Good starting point for brazilian data:

http://www.ibge.gov.br/servidor_arquivos_geo/
http://www.relevobr.cnpm.embrapa.br/conteudo/projeto.htm

World data (elevation data, satelite images, etc...)
http://www.glcf.umiacs.umd.edu

Also, be sure to browse grass.itc.it and the list achives, there is
gold in there!!

best regards,
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX