[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Frank Broniewski frank at frabron.de
Fri Jun 30 02:43:52 EDT 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 29.06.2006, 08:42 +0200 schrieb Stephan Holl:
> Hello Frank,
>
> Normaly this should work as well. Do you have the exact error-message?

Hi Stephan

I can't give you the error msg, because there is none ...
I tried already the text version of grass, but there is no epsg
possibility and the gui version just doesn't give a error msg.

> Note that you don't need that epsg file for creating a location. The
> location creation is done using g.proj which in turn calls GDAL/OGR
> functions to convert the EPSG code into a PROJ.4 representation of
> the
> co-ordinate system, which is then morphed a PROJ_INFO file etc.
>
> The *only* thing that /usr/share/proj/epsg file is used for is to
> display
> as-is to the user (through the TclTk dialogs) so it can be browsed. If
> you
> just type in the EPSG code you want, the creation process doesn't go
> near
> that file.
>
> Paul

Dear Paul

reading your email, I guess there could be a problem with the gdal/proj
libraries? Is proj also used when I create a location manually?

I installed all the packages via the package manager, so normally
everything should be set accordingly. How can I test that everything is
installed correct? I tried g.proj and it works in grass

Greetings Frank